SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISION MINUTES May 19, 2021
Members Present: Doug Patterson (Chair); Sandy Gregg (Vice-Chair); David Roy; Michele Gammal
Public Present: Bridget Kerr; Bob Fireovid; Albert Reyes-McCarver; George Harwood; Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA)
6:00PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
–Bridget Kerr commented that the meeting minutes on the Town’s website were missing the minutes from the May 5, 2021 meeting and had the April 21, 2021 minutes posted twice.
–M. Gammal asked why the zoning districts map was not included in the Development Regulations posted on the Town website. Only the 2017 maps are posted; the most recent zoning maps are not included. These maps need to be added to the website.
–Bridget Kerr asked about the status of the Town website. Will there be a new one? The Selectboard has been discussing but no further information was available.
Review Proposed Amendments to the Development Regulations and Warning Documentation
- Table 2.1 – the Commission agreed to require Accessory Commercial Uses have Conditional Use and Site Plan review by the DRB in all zoning districts; the Commission also agreed to allow the DRB to review applications for light industry in the village zoning districts with conditional use and site plan review, per Sec. 203 (Zoning District Purposes – Village Districts). Currently, no industrial uses are allowed in the village zoning districts.
- Accessory Dwellings – per changes to State statute, the Commission approved new language defining an accessory dwelling in Sec. 701 and exemptions to DRB conditional use reviews of accessory dwellings up to 4 units in Sec. 302. Both changes will reference State statute 24 V.S.A. 4414 (3)(d).
- The public notice for the June 16 Planning Commission public meeting, the Amendment Report, and the proposed changes to Table 2.1, Sec. 302, and Sec. 701 will be posted on the Town website by the May 26, 2021 warning date.
- Gregg moved to accept the minutes of May 5, 2021, as amended; D Roy second. All in favor.
- Possible Amendments to the Mobile Vendors Ordinance: Discussion included whether to amend the Ordinance to avoid Carnival rides, and if requiring a Mobile Vendors license unfairly placed a hardship on some businesses that question whether they should be defined as mobile vendors. Albert Reyes-McCarver said there was value in defining what a food truck is – does it have to have the ability to move rather than remain stationary? If so, is it meant to be static or will it be moved to different locations? As written, the ordinance can place an undue burden on some businesses in S. Hero. The State’s definition is rigid and relies on whether the Town requires a license or not. Patterson suggested that the Town define a mobile vendor. Right now, it just states what is sold and not whether the unit is ‘mobile.’ Discussion on this will continue at the next meeting.
- Taylor-Varney offered to forward an email from the Vermont Planners Association on ‘Ageing in Place’, a webinar series scheduled for Friday, May 22nd. S. Gregg asked Martha to forward it on to her.
- Taylor-Varney will be posting the 6/16 public hearing warning on the Town website home page, in addition to sending it to Planning Commission Chairs in Grand Isle, Milton, and Colchester. The warning will appear in the Islander in the May 26, 2021 issue.
- The next meeting will be June 2, 2021.
- George Harwood introduced himself as a former member and Chair of the PC and expressed an interest in filling the current vacancy.
7:24PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; D. Roy second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ______________________________________ Date: _______________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.