SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES July 21, 2021
Members Present: Doug Patterson (Chair); Sandy Gregg (Vice-Chair); David Roy; Michele Gammal; George Harwood
Public Present: Tim Maxham; Bob Fireovid; Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA)
6:00PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
There was none.
- Gregg moved to approve the minutes of July 7, 2021; D. Roy second. All in favor.
- Village Wastewater Planning Grant opportunities: The Commission confirmed a joint meeting with the Selectboard on September 1, 2021, at 6PM, as part of a regular PC meeting, to meet with Lynette Claudon of VT DEC to discuss funding opportunities for municipal wastewater feasibility.
- Small Business Saturday updates – Gammal reported to the Commission that planning is moving forward quickly for the holiday weekend of October 9-10. The new name has been coined WITI (Weekend in the Islands). Publicity will include a website, a Facebook page, and a logo. The event will also have an official photographer. Michele has been working with Andy Julow, the new Executive Director of the Lake Champlain Islands Economic Development Corp., and Randy Smith of Buy Vermont Local to organize the event. She reports that the Islander contacted her this week for more information. Michele proposed a $25 fee for businesses that will take part and she will be making preliminary contact with businesses this week. Goulet Farm has offered to host businesses at their farm. Maps will be available that will include business locations and hours of operation, a fundraiser is planned (perhaps gift baskets?), a “touch-a-truck” event at the Fire Dept., and an opportunity for the South Hero Meeting House committee to present their plans to the public for renovation of the building. The event organizers plan to limit the event for the first year to South Hero businesses, then expand it further up the Islands after getting the first year ‘kinks’ out. Signage posted at the entrances to South Hero 10 days before the event will help publicize it. The event plans will be presented to the Selectboard as a special event for their input and a special event permit.
- Zoning Maps – updated zoning maps for the entire town, South Hero Village Zoning District, and Keeler Bay Village Zoning District were given to the Commission. They have been posted on the Town website.
- 2023 Town Plan – Patterson suggested discussing with the Selectboard at the Sept. 1st joint meeting if they would support the Commission’s application for a Municipal Planning Grant for the 2023 Town Plan update. Or, if a grant isn’t available, would they add funds to the next budget for the update. The MPG application deadline is November 1st. The Commission agreed that the sample schedule and budget that NRPC presented from the Town of Fairfield was a good guide and comparable to what would be re quired for a South Hero update.
- Regulating Helipads and Airstrips – Martha will contact North Hero to see what progress they’ve made with their ordinance. NRPC is assisting N. Hero with this.
- The Commission welcomed George Harwood as a new member.
- The Selectboard’s public hearing for the proposed amendments to the Development Regulations will be held at the Selectboard meeting on August 23, 2021, at 7PM. This will be warned I the Islander, posted at the Town Office, Library, and Post Office, and will also be put on Front Porch Forum and the Town website.
- Gregg moved to adjourn; D. Roy second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: _________________________________________ Date: ____________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.