South Hero recognizes that COVID-19 continues to be a public health crisis. As states and towns have a responsibility to protect the health and welfare of their residents and visitors, the Vermont legislature has authorized towns to adopt face mask policies to protect against the transmission of COVID-19. The South Hero Selectboard recommends and supports the use of face masks for customers and vendors at indoor venues and requires face masks for entry into Town of South Hero offices. In the event a person does not wish to wear a face mask to enter the town office, they may call 802-372-5552 for curbside service.
Town Meeting Day Elections – Town Officials
The following elected positions and terms are open for candidates:
- Town Moderator: one-year term
- School Moderator: one-year term
- Town Clerk: 2 years remaining of a three-year term
- Two Selectboard members: a three-year and a two-year term
- One Lister: three-year term
- One Cemetery Commissioner: three-year term
- Three Library Trustees: 2 two-year terms and 1 one-year term
- Three School Directors: 1 three-year term, 1 two-year term and 1 one-year term
Complete a 2022-local-candidate-consent form.
Forms will be accepted at the Town Office through Monday, January 24, 2022.
The Town of South Hero, located in Grand Isle County in Northwestern Vermont, lies on the Southern half of South Hero Island in Lake Champlain. The area which now encompasses South Hero, Grand Isle, and North Hero was given to Ethan and Ira Allen on October 27, 1779 as a reward for their services to the state.
Today, the lands of South Hero are used primarily for agriculture, dairying, and apple orchards. The island is a very attractive place for resorts and thus attracts many summer tourists.