Town of South Hero
South Hero Meeting House – Renovate & Adaptive Reuse Project
Date: Monday, March 7,2022 – Steering Committee in person & on Zoom
Call to Order: 3:00 PM by Sandy Gregg
Attendees on ZOOM: Sarah Kjelleran, Emily Klofft-NRPC,Paul Boisvert- Civil & Structural Engineer Engineering Ventures, Bob Neeld – Structural Engineer Engineering Ventures (for first part of the meeting), Robin Way, Julie Reilly – Structural Engineer Engineering Ventures, Lyssa Papazian-Historic Preservationist – Arnold & Scangas (A&S), Lisa Ryan Grants Manager & Field Service VT Preservation Trust
Attendees in person at Town Office: Pamela Surprenant, Bev Blakely, Mary Harwood – Town Consultant, Linda Seavey, Beth Curtis-Granny’s Attic, Terry Robinson, Noni Stewart, Michael Carroll, Nate Hayward, Roz Lavallee, Doug Patterson, Sandy Gregg- PC, Rebecca Arnold – Arnold & Scangas (arrived later)
Absent: David Carter, Carol Tremble
- Paul Bruhn Grant Overview: Lisa Ryan explained the process, steps, requirements and timetable for getting through this grant. Some of the high points of the discussion:
- Priority: Town needs to get signed sub-grant agreement to Lisa Ryan.
- 10 year easement will be held by Preservation Trust of VT.
- Priority: Nepa Grant Form: requirements include full scope of the project with narrative, photos, conceptual plan, drawings, description of phases and rationale, materials and rationale, Section 6 Review, how decisions were made, why this particular approach was chosen, wastewater plan, site plan etc.
- Mary Harwood-Town Consultant, Sandy Gregg, and Linda Seavey will create a 1st draft and run it by Lisa Ryan for review and comments.
- Final Nepa document will go to Lisa Ryan for final review and then sends to National Park Service (90 day review period). NPS sends review results to Laura Trieschmann. Notification comes back to Town of South Hero. Rinse & repeat if necessary.
- Tasks: Mary H. will forward NEPA form to Rebecca A.
- A&S will provide description of the scope of the whole project, phased approach, materials, drawings, site plan map, and photos. Note: NO construction documents are required at this time.
- NPS has to review before going out to bid and must review the bid documents as well.
- Wastewater: easement from adjoining property (Nate Hayward-owner)
- Emily K. stated a section 106 discussion needs to happen with VCDP. Priority: Emily is tasked with this and will report back to the Committee at our next meeting March 21st at 2PM.
- Accessibility modifications need to be described. Separate funding is available for ramps, lift etc.
- Phased 2 approach priority is getting people back into the building and will concentrate on the main original building. Details about this phase will be developed later in coordination with Lisa Ryan and Laura Trieschmann’s office. Therefore, the addition will be Phase 3.
- Soils: the A&S Contract includes investigation of the site soils. This does NOT include testing the building itself for lead. Lead testing will need to happen and who will do that remains a question.
- Lisa R. stated the Paul Bruhn Grant has a 3 year window and she is here for the Town to resource and ask questions.
- 1st Conceptual Plan Discussion
- Lobby needs to be same level as 1st floor. It is understood there is a 30” difference in grade which requires a 30 ft ramp. The Committee would like to see a design from A&S that provides a covered outdoor ramp to address this.
- Rebecca A. stated a bulkhead will be required on the north side of the foundation to accommodate phase 3 addition.
- Drainage: Nate H. reported he ran site lines with VTrans. VTR’s does not want any runoff added to the existing drain in the parking lot to the east of the building. A drainage system and water-proofing the basement will need to be addressed.
- Foundation: it is the Committee’s hope to clad the poured concrete foundation with slabs of the existing foundation stone to create a look as if it is original.
- David C. had a sketch design idea. David please forward to Rebecca and follow up with phone conversation with her. [email protected] 802-782-8241
- Nate Hayward had a design idea with out door covered ramp. Nate please email your plan/sketch and photo ideas to Rebecca and follow-up with a phone conversation with her. [email protected] 802-782-8241
- VCDP Grant deadline is June 30,2022. Priority: Emily K. will get an extension from VCDP.
- Granny’s Attic occupancy this summer 2022:
- At this time it appears as though the Granny’s will have a full selling season this summer into early fall.
- The building will have to be emptied before actual work begins as there will be no access allowed during the Foundation & Stabilization Phase.
- Julie Reilly-Engineering Ventures stated the whole process will take 6+ months.
- Proposed Rec Park information will be sent to Rebecca A. by Sandy G. as both the Meeting House and Rec Park must work together for traffic flow, green space, lighting, landscaping etc. Questions regarding the prosed Rec Park should be directed to both Nate Hayward [email protected] and Phil Scott (not the Governor) [email protected] and please cc both David Carter and Sandy Gregg.
- Priority List will be created for the Committee by Mary Harwood, Sandy Gregg, & Linda Seavey.
- 1st floor use upon completion of Phase 1: The 1st floor will not be allowed to be occupied without further addressing egress and will require Fire Marshall approval.
- TimeLine for the Project: Emily K. will provide a timeline.
- After the Vote:
- Mary H. will write an article to ride the PR wave about receiving the Paul Bruhn Grant and now we have voter support! Mary will continue to research grants.
- Letter to The Editor of The Islander: Pamela Surprenant
- Mary will send a Project Description to the Vermont Community Fund to inspire donors.
- Old Business
- Contract Status: PRIORITY David Carter please report on this status ASAP.
- Thermometer Idea – postponed until next meeting – what now? Suggestions?
- Report from Linda Seavey Architecture SubCommittee about findings after reaching out to other communities on their revitalization projects – postponed until next meeting.
- New Business:
- Invoice approvals:
- Invoice #5487, 12/31/21 $1,032.85 Northwest Regional Planning Commission:
Motion to Approve by Michael Carroll and seconded by Mary Harwood.
Vote was unanimous.
- Invoice #22.07, February 25, 2022 $7,272.75 Arnold & Scangas Architects:
Motion to Approve with details provided by A&S by Pamela Surprenant and seconded by Beth Curtis.
Vote was unanimous. Sandy G. will communicate with A&S and get more details and have them check the % completed line. (Note SG emailed A&S 3/8/22)
- Next Meeting: Monday March 21st at 2:00 PM via Zoom and in-person at Worthen Library – Community Room (lower level). Town Office was booked. Worthen Library is confirmed.
- 11. Adjourned: 4:59 PM
Respectfully submitted by,
Sandy Gregg, Scribe