Town of South Hero
South Hero Meeting House – Renovate & Adaptive Reuse Project
Date: Monday, February 21,2022 – Steering Committee in person & on Zoom
Call to Order: 5:00 PM by David Carter – Chair
Attendees on ZOOM: Sarah Kjelleran, Pamela Surprenant, Bev Blakely, Judy Duval & Ethlyn Dubuque -Granny’s Attic, Emily Klofft-NRPC
Attendees in person at Town Office: David Carter – Selectboard, Mary Harwood – Town Con-sultant, Linda Seavey, Beth Curtis-Granny’s Attic, Terry Robinson, Robin Way-CIDER, Sandy Gregg- PC
Absent: Carol Tremble, Michael Carroll ( get better Michael)
2. 501(c)(3) Update:
• Received FEIN# 87-4720313
• Continuing to draft By-Laws (George Harwood & David Carter)
• Treasurer, Pamela Surprenant opened an account at North Country Federal Credit Union and there is a balance of $500. Reminder: the funds raised to date will remain in the Town’s Meeting House budget line.
• Next meeting is Monday February 28th at noon. Feel free to join just notify Sandy G. [email protected] or call 802-372-4565.
3. Article Vote PR
• Beth C. reported there is going to be an article in this week’s Islander; the ad to vote “yes” went in last week’s issue, and she and Terry R. will continue to write articles to keep the Meeting House in the forefront of the public eye. Note: the article prompted a donation so they work!
• PRIORITY – Website: get photos of the sagging roof line and east wall garage bays, plus photos of the crumbling foundation on the website. Mary will do FPF posts directing read-ers to the website to view the photos. Done by Thursday Feb 24th. 1st FPF post Thursday Feb 24th, 2nd FPF post Sat Feb 26th with links to the website to “See for yourself”. In-clude long-term impact on Granny’s Attic if the building Foundation & Stabilization funding is passed/not passed.
4. After the Vote:
• Mary H. will write an article to ride the PR wave about receiving the Paul Bruhn Grant and continuing to raise private donations and applying for grants.
• Mary will send a Project Description to the Vermont Community Fund to inspire donors.
5. Old Business
• Contract Status: PRIORITY Emily K reported that all required information is with the at-torney and she will call him tomorrow (Tuesday Feb 22nd.) to get his letter. Sandy G. stat-ed the Town has already received an extension to get this done so the letter from the At-torney is urgently required.
• Next Steps: David C. asked what are our next steps? What is the role of NRPC? What is the role of the Grant Manager? Emily K. responded that NRPC is here to answer those questions just get in touch with her.
• Vt Preservation Trust: Mary H. reported that in a recent conversation with Lisa Ryan Lisa stated she still owes South Hero something in regard to to receiving the Paul Bruhn Grant. Mary H. will follow-up with Lisa about this.
• When do we involve Laura Trieschmann – State Historic Preservation Officer? Sandy G. will invite her to March 7 meeting.
6. New Business:
• Thermometer idea: Beth C. asked if a visual of a thermometer would be good to see. Sa-rah K. said a sheet of plywood with a vinyl graphic would work. Target funds to cover Phase 1 i.e. $275,000 for Foundation & Stabilization. Sarah will look into this and report back at our next meeting March 7th.
• Architecture Sub-Committee: PRIORITY Linda Seavey-Chair plus anyone Linda chooses to help her. Task: reach out to Hinesburg, Fairfield, Ferrisburg, Rockingham etc. to get heir feedback on their projects to restore/renovate their Meeting Houses. Rocking-ham Meeting House: https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/577300
• Try to get some feedback by our next meeting on March 7th.
5. Next Meeting: Monday March 7th , 3:00 PM via Zoom and in-person at Town Office. Sandy G. to confirm with Town Office.
This meeting will be a conversation about:
B. Potential cost range estimates
D. Historical requirements
Hopefully attending: Arnold & Scangas – Rebecca Arnold
Engineering Ventures – Bob Neeld
Laura Trieschmann – State Historic Preservation Officer
Emily Klofft – NRPC
6. Adjourned: 5:58 PM
Respectfully submitted by,
Sandy Gregg, Scribe