Recreation Commission Special Meeting Minutes, April 27, 20 21
Present: Chuck Hulse, Linda Burger, Phil Scott
Absent: David Hobbs, Carol Tremble
Due to technical issues on my part, a ZOOM link to the meeting for the public was not published.
Meeting called to order at 7:00 PM
1. Acknowledge minutes of last meeting – This was tabled to the next meeting.
2. Tom Chagnon has resigned from the Recreation Commission. The Recreation Commission thanks him for his service.
3. Public input: As noted above, the link to the meeting was not published. My apologies.
4. Beach parking attendant contract. The contract with GMCS was sent out to the members of the committee for their input. Chuck will sign the contract on behalf of the Recreation Commission and send it to GMCS. The representative from GMCS asked that a representative be available each day that the parking attending is on site to assist or answer questions. Carol had agreed to fulfill this role in the past, but it may require members of the rec commission to split up the days.
5. Activity Survey. Phil sent out a copy of the community survey to members of the committee. The survey is designed to find out what type of recreational activities the South Hero community would be interested in. The survey will be posted on FPF. Chuck will check with the Town Clerk to see if a link to the survey can be posted on the front page of the town website. Phil will check with the Islander about an article related to the survey to be placed in the South Hero section of the paper.
6. Summer activities.
Swim lessons – lessons are available in North Hero and Colchester. The recreation commission will reimburse families for the swim lessons. A link to the form to be used for reimbursement is located on the town website. Phil contacted the YMCA. They are not doing off-site swim lessons, but have a program where communities can get lessons on site.
Bike safety program – Chuck looked into the Bike Trailer though Local Motion. They rent a trailer (with bikes, helmets, etc.) to communities one week at a time. But, the community must provide a trained person to facilitate the training. Plans for a bike safety day with – bike safety training, GI Sheriff involvement, free helmets, etc. will tabled to a future meeting.
Boat safety training – Phil contacted a qualified boat safety instructor who would be willing to teach a boat safety course. Phil would provide a boat. Future plans will depend on the results from the activity survey to see if community members are interested in such an activity.
Tryathalon – discussion of plans for the Tryathalon was tabled to the next meeting. Awaiting more up to date COVID guidance as to whether the event will be possible.
7. Beach parking notification. Erin Morse, the Town Clerk, was looking for information that could be included with beach parking passes that explain the rules according to the ordinance. Chuck has sent her a document outlining the stipulations of the ordinance. Erin can modify it as she sees appropriate. Erin was also looking for the information that would be given to vehicles that in violation of the ordinance. She requested that information about parking passes be directed to the online form on the website rather than directly to the Town Clerk’s office. And, she requested that the information sheet state that the non-resident lottery is closed.
8. Recreation Commission membership / recruitment. The Recreation Committee needs new members. This issue was tabled until the next meeting. Chuck will bring Phil Scott name to the Select Board for appointment to the Recreation Commission. Chuck will contact the Town Clerk to straighten out the terms of each of the members of the Commission.
Meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.
Next meeting, Thursday, May 13th at 7 pm.