Regular Meeting of Monday June 13, 2022 at 7:00 PM
At South Hero Town Hall and via Zoom
Board Members Present: David Carter/Chairman, Skip Brown/Board Secretary, Ross Brown/Vice Chairman (arrived at 7:35), Anne Zolotas, and Chuck Hulse
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA. Also see sign in sheet of in person and active Zoom participants. *Attendance SB 06-13-2022
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called to order by Chairman Carter at 7:02 pm
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to acknowledge the minutes of the meeting of May 23, 2022. The motion was seconded, all in attendance at the meeting so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. Bridget Kerr was present to discuss the possibility of forming a South Hero Conservation Commission. Such a commission would be an advisory body that could advise the Selectboard and help the PC craft a Town Plan. See Attached *Conservation Commission 6-13-2022. It appears that members would have to be South Hero, Vermont residents. There were questions from the Board about how many members would need to be on such a commission, and with volunteerism being a challenge right now, would there be support. It was suggested that more information be brought to the next meeting.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. See the written report filed with these minutes (Below on the website or in Town Hall).
B. Ross Brown made a motion to approve and have the Chairman sign two mobile vendor licenses from A. P. Designs & Carvings and Splice Cream, LLC that will be at Viva Marketplace. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. The discussion about the landfill was tabled,since the meeting with the Town Consultants, VHB, will be tomorrow June 14 and there is no further info at this time.
8. Announcements and Communications:
A. Anne Zolotas is running the July 4 Parade. Ross Brown made a motion to spend up to $100.00 for Parade supplies and/or advertisements. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
9. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to approve and sign orders 22-25 and to pay the bills associated with the orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Town Clerk/Treasurer updates: none
C. Recreation Commission (RC) update: Chuck Hulse made a motion to appoint Rosemary Zamore and Mandy Hotchkiss to the Recreation Commission. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. In the survey about a possible future recreation park, there was strong support for a dog park in South Hero. It was suggested that an informal study group be formed to explore where such a facility would be located and an estimate of building and maintaining it. Should such a facility deem to be considered, it was suggested that it be put up to a Town vote.
D. Road Department update: The large equipment trailer needs repair and is structurally unsound due to rust. A new/used one may be considered. Redoing the roadside striping is being looked into. Fog lines alone on South St. from Rte. 2 to Landon Rd. will cost about $16,000.00 and it was not currently budgeted for. Other possible funding sources are being explored. Roadside mowing needs to begin soon.
E. Old South Hero Meeting House (OSHMH): The preliminary plans for an addition have been submitted. There will be a public outreach meeting on June 27, 2022.
F. ARPA fund updates: None at this meeting.
G. Anne Zolotas made a motion to go into executive session for personnel matters at 8:16 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Executive session ended at 8:35 pm. No action was taken after executive session.
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to adjourn 8:37 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown David Carter, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard June 13, 2022
- I received an email from Kasey Kathan, an analyst with the State Solid Waste Management program. She will be providing State oversight and support for the South Hero Landfill PFAS investigation. She sent a letter outlining the next steps after the submission of the initial PFAS site investigation completed by VHB last year. I forwarded this letter to Kurt Muller, our VHB project manager. We will be having a meeting via Microsoft teams tomorrow (Tuesday), June 14 at 10am to go over the next steps.
- I will be issuing a Notice of Zoning Violation tomorrow to the McConnell Family Limited Partnership at 118 Featherbed Lane for a setback violation that occurred 10 years ago due to lake flooding in 2011. The statute of limitations for zoning violations is 15 years. The violation was reported in August 2021 and given a deadline of June 1, 2022 to correct.
- Brock Freyer of the State wetlands division told me that the area on Martin Rd. that was widened last year to allow for more parking close to the Allen Point Fishing Access/bike path had been expanded into existing wetlands and should have had a wetlands permit. He said the Town will need to get an after-the-fact permit which will likely be approved due to safety concerns, etc. The wetlands will need to be delineated. There is a 50-ft. buffer from the edge of a delineated wetland.
- I have 2 mobile vendor licenses for the Board’s signature tonight.
2023 Town Plan discussion — The Commission has scheduled public outreach opportunities for June 27 and August 22, to be referred to as “Community Cheers and Cheese.” Three additional outreach opportunities will be at the Farmers’ Market on June 22, July 13, and August 17. The June 27 outreach will be from 4-6pm at the Old South Hero Meeting House.
The PC’s survey has been approved and is now available online at the NRPC website under South Hero.
Development Review Board
- The site plan review for the redevelopment of the old Sand Bar Inn lot at 59 US RT 2 concluded on June 8th. The Board has up to 45 days to reach its decision.
- Additional upcoming reviews include a 2-lot subdivision and a setback waiver on a small lot in the Shoreland District.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Asst. to the Selectboard