Burn Permits

The Town Clerk’s office issues Burn Permits under the advisement of the Fire Warden.

To obtain a burn permit please call 802-372-5552 (Mon-Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm)

  • What can be burned: ONLY unpainted and untreated wood products, leaves and brush may be burned.
  • You may not Burn: Plywood, Painted, treated or finished wood, Plastics, Rubber (tires), Cardboard or paper.
  • All Fires must be attended at all times, an extinguishment method should be readily available (hose / fire extinguisher / etc.)  and all fires must be completely extinguished before leaving them unattended.


  • Campfires are small fires used for cooking and/or warmth.
  • Campfires need to be confined by a Fire Pit, Ring, or other non-combustible containment method.
  • Campfires are less than a 4ft in diameter
  • Campfires do not require a Burn Permit.

All other Fires requires a Burn Permit

  • Burning is only permitted during daylight hours.
  • Burn Permits will not be issued during a Red Flag Warning
  • Burn Permits will not be issued when Fire Danger is a MODERATE (class 3) or above.
  • Fires must be attended at all times
  • Burn Permits are issued at the discretion of the Fire Warden, not the Fire Department, There are many factors in why the warden may / may not issue a burn permit. A low Fire Danger does not guarantee a permit will be issued.

South Hero Fire Warden- Patrick Robinson 802-324-8161