SOUTH HERO DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD MINUTES July 28, 2021
Members Present: Tim Maxham (Chair); Doug Patterson (Vice-Chair); Gareth Hunt; Liza Kilcoyne; Bill Rowe; Mike Welch
Public Present: Rick Harris; Dean and Kathy Henry; Gunnar Olsen; Matt Jensen; Lance Champney (via Zoom); Mitchel Richardson (via Zoom); and Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA).
7:00PM – T. Maxham called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
There was none.
Rick Harris Subdivision/Boundary Adjustment Administrative Review – 14 Iodine Springs Rd. (21-90-IS014)
Introductions were made, the warning was read, and interested persons sworn in.
Rick Harris represented the Georgianna S. Harris Estate. He proposed to subdivide an irregular shaped, 4-acre lot and to adjust the boundary of an adjoining lot. Lot #1 (2.05 acres) contains the Iodine Springs House and a mobile home. Lot #3 (175 acres) has a dwelling with access from Sunset View Rd. Lot #2 (1.6 acres) is owned by Rick Harris and has a mobile home with access onto Sunset View Rd. Mr. Harris proposes to adjust the south boundary of his lot, adjacent to Lot 1, to add 0.2-acre. A narrow lot (different owner) divides Lot 2 from Lot 3. The boundary adjustment will wrap around the south end of the narrow lot, allowing direct access from Lot 2 to Lot 3. The Applicant plans to sell Lot 1 once the subdivision is complete.
Since this is a minor subdivision, the application was reviewed by the Zoning Administrator and the final plan was presented to the DRB with her recommendation for approval. G. Hunt moved to accept the application, with conditions; M. Welch second. All in favor. Conditions include:
- Correct the name of the Town in the surveyor’s disclaimer.
- Add easement on Lot 2 to benefit the Paulette King lot.
- Add minimum lot size for Rural Residential District [1 acre].
- Add the water line to the mobile home on Lot 1.
- Maxham signed the decision for the Board.
Dean and Kathy Henry 9-lot Subdivision Sketch Plan Review – 129 Ferry Rd. (21-95-FR129)
The warning was read and interested persons sworn in.
The Applicants proposed to subdivide a 15.11-acre parcel into 9 building lots. Proposed lot acreages: Lot 1 – 1.1; Lot 2 – 1.9; Lot 3 – 1.9; Lot 4 – 1.8; Lot 5 – 1.6; Lot 7 – 18; Lot 8 – 1.2; and Lot 9 – 1.8. Lot 1 has an existing home. The Applicants originally proposed 6 accesses onto State RT 314 (Ferry Rd.) but VTrans limited the number to 2. One access will serve Lots 1-6, and a second access will serve lots 7-9. The configuration of each access drive is yet to be finalized. The access drive for Lots 1-6 will be moved slightly west to the top of the knoll. A cul-de-sac turnaround is proposed for Lots 3, 4, and 5, to be located on Lot 6. A hammerhead is proposed for Lots 7, 8, and 9.
An easement for the Grand Isle Consolidated Water District is proposed over the property to the west, to serve Lots 2 and 3 only. The rest of the lots will have wells. The home on Lot 1 is already served by a well.
A wastewater easement on Lot 3 serves Lot 4. The mounds shown on the Sketch Plan are approximate to test pit. The existing system on Lot 1 needs to be delineated. It is not a mound system.
The Board classified the subdivision as a Major subdivision and recommended a separate preliminary plat review rather than combining a preliminary and final plat review. The preliminary plat will need –
- Final configurations of driveway accesses and with turnarounds (cul-de-sac or hammerhead) meeting the requirements of Sec. 503.
- Locations of existing structures and accesses across Ferry Rd. from the proposed subdivision.
- Delineate septic system on Lot 1.
- Location of VELCO transmission lines and easement on Lot 9.
- Locate wetlands on Lot 9, including setbacks.
- Proposed utility easements.
- Show building envelopes more clearly.
- Add Matt Jensen’s well (57 West Shore Rd.) in addition to well and septic shields.
- Add a Legend to the plat.
- All other applicable requirements of Table 4.1 (Major Subdivision Plan/Plat Review).
8:24 – T. Maxham closed the hearing. The Applicants have 180 days to apply for Preliminary Plat review.
There was none.
Review of Minutes
- Kilcoyne moved t approve the minutes of July 14, 2021; G. Hunt second. All in favor.
The upcoming hearing schedule for the DRB is:
August 11, 2021 – setback waiver request in the Shoreland District. One hearing only. There will be no deliberative session. (Martha will be out of town, as will Liza and Gareth.)
August 25, 2021 – Conditional Use and Site Plan review for an accessory use (add professional space to a retail establishment).
No hearings currently scheduled beyond August. Expecting a 2-lot subdivision/Boundary adjustment administrative review for early September, but no application yet.
- Kilcoyne moved to adjourn and move to deliberative; D. Patterson second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ________________________________________ Date: ____________________
For the Development Review Board
The minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.