SOUTH HERO DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD September 22, 2021
Members Present: Tim Maxham (Chair); Doug Patterson (Vice-Chair); Gareth Hunt; Nate Hayward; Bill Rowe, Jim Brightwell (via Zoom).
Public Present: Jeffrey Wells; Devin Hackett; Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
7:00PM – T. Maxham called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
Martha received the Alsop Mylar today for the Board to review and sign. Will be added to ‘Old Business.’
There was none.
Jeffrey Wells (Applicant) and Hackett’s Orchard (Landowner) – Conditional Use/Site Plan Review per the Town’s Mobile Vendor Ordinance (22-11-SS086)
- Maxham recused himself from the hearing. D. Patterson chaired the hearing. The warning was read, introductions made, and interested persons sworn in.
Jeffrey Wells, owner of Fair Time Concessions and Devin Hackett of Hackett’s Orchards presented to the Board. Mr. Wells had been granted a waiver from the Selectboard to operate at Hackett’s prior to the DRB’s review due to the late season and scheduling delays in the zoning office. Mr. Wells explained that his business would reflect the Orchard business by including apple products from the orchard. His intention is to serve Hackett’s customers rather than attracting customers off the street.
The vendor unit will operate Friday through Sunday at the same times as the orchard business hours – 9AM to 6PM. No additional parking is proposed since the business will serve primarily customers of the orchard and there is adequate parking already existing. Power and water will be supplied by a receptacle and spigot at the orchard store. Mr. Wells bought a protective rubber matt to cover power and water lines that run from his unit across the driveway to the store for safety and protection from vehicle traffic.
The proposed mobile unit location is beside the greenhouse, between the playground and the farm drive that leads to the orchard and additional parking. The Board explained to Mr. Wells and Devin that the review is for the location and that approval would be for any mobile vendor, not just the Applicant. Devin requested no limit to the time of year, although he anticipates no winter or cold-weather use. The review is for only one vendor at a time.
- Hunt moved to waive the requirement to show contours on the site plan; N. Hayward second. All in favor.
7:31PM — D. Patterson closed the hearing.
- Maxham signed the Mylar for the Alsop 2-lot subdivision and boundary adjustment (22-07-FR094), approved on September 8, 2021.
Review of Minutes
- Welch moved to approve the minutes of September 8, 2021; G. Hunt second. All in favor.
- Upcoming schedule-
- October 13, 2021: 2-lot subdivision administrative review.
- October 27, 2021: 2-lot subdivision administrative review (not yet confirmed)
- Does the Board want to continue with the 7PM start time (moved from 6PM)? Yes
7:42PM – G. Hunt moved to adjourn and move to deliberative; B. Rowe second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ___________________________________________ Date: _____________________
For the Development Review Board
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.