Regular Meeting of Monday November 8, 2021 at 6:00 PM
At South Hero Town Hall and via Zoom
Board Members Present: David Carter/Chairman, Skip Brown/Board Secretary, Ross Brown/Vice Chairman,
Chuck Hulse, Anne Zolotas
Board Members Not Present: none
Others Present: Kim Julow, Town Clerk/Treasurer, Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA. Also see sign in sheet of in person and active Zoom participants. Attendance SB 11-08-2021
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called by Chairman Carter at 6:00 pm
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-The budget request from Grand Isle County Sheriff will be at a future meeting
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to acknowledge the minutes of the meeting of October 25, 2021. The motion was seconded, all who were in attendance at the last meeting so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
5. New Business:
A. 2022/2023 Budget requests presented:
– South Hero Volunteer Fire Dept. (SHVFD): Rich Goggin and Patrick Robinson presented proposed budget. Some notable changes from the last budget include upping the equipment replacement fund by $5,000.00 and adding a new budget line in the amount of $50,000.00 to cover a paid employee to cover shortfalls in the volunteer ranks. More information on this possible employee will be discussed in the future. The total budget presented is $177,350.00.
-South Hero Fire and Rescue building: The budget is slightly less than last year at $182,235.00.
-South Hero Rescue (SHR): The SHR receives some money from transports and donations that cover most supplies, training and ambulance maintenance. The SHR budget asked from the Town are $90,000.00 for paid personnel and $25,000.00 for the equipment replacement fund for a total request of $115,000.00. The increase to the personnel budget line is due to the low volunteer staff and a possible anticipated increase in calls from the future senior housing building.
-Cemetery Commission: The budget request is $15,000.00.
See attached for details from each organization’s budget request. Budget requests 11-08-2021
B.The Old South Hero Meeting House has been meeting with architects and engineers to begin to get the scope of the project to restore the building and some cost estimates. Any future work will likely displace the Granny’s Attic organization while repairs are made. The proposed donation of the land behind the meeting house will inevitably change the scope of the project. All of this is subject to funding and plenty of time will be available for planning. The Town supports the Granny’s Attic organization and they will be kept in the loop so all entities know what is going to occur.
C. Ross Brown made a motion to approve and sign the grant paper for the paving grant for Landon Rd. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. See the written report filed with these minutes (below on the website, or filed in Town Hall).
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. none at this meeting.
8. Announcements and Communications:
A. The Board will like to acknowledge that South Hero resident Mark Sikora will turn 100 year old this week!
9. Other Business:
A. Anne Zolotas made a motion to approve and sign orders 22-10 and to pay the bills associated with the orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Town Clerk/Treasurer updates: The digitizing of Town records will begin in January and should be ready by June of 2022.
C. Recreation Commission (RC) update: none
D. Road Department update: The Road Crew is looking for another employee to replace Martin Jensen. Ads will be going out in various publications.
E. Old South Hero Meeting House (OSHMH): Architects and engineers have done a preliminary walkthrough. Approximately $18,000.00 in donations has been raised so far. More information can be found with the minutes of the OSHMH Board.
F. ARPA fund updates: South Hero will receive approximately $453,000.00 in total. The Planning Commission and Selectboard will be working on developing a webpage and questionnaire to determine best uses for the money.
G. Anne Zolotas will set up a tree company to continue to clear some ash trees that will be affected by the EAB.
H. Anne Zolotas made a motion to approve and sign a letter of support for grant funding for a “Winter in the Islands” day on February 12, 2022. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to adjourn 8:05 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown David Carter, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard November 8, 2021
1. Scheduled so far for 2023 budget discussion:
November 8, 2021 – Cemetery Commission; SHVFD, South Hero Rescue
November 22, 2021 – Highway Dept.; Rec.Commission; Sheriff’s Dept.
2. A 5th Monday meeting has been scheduled for the SB with the Planning Commission and DRB. I need confirmation of the time – 6 or 7PM?
3. Town Attorney Andy McIlwaine has been reviewing the documentation for the final grant agreement for the Bayview Crossing Implementation grant. These administrative costs are included as part of the grant. There will be no charge to the Town. I believe Ross signed the final draft agreement this week.
4. The South Hero Wastewater Committee held its first meeting on Monday, Oct. 18 at 4:30PM at the Town Office. Committee members are George Harwood (Clerk), Ross Brown, Peter Zamore (Chair), and Bob Buermann. Greta Brunswick will represent NRPC on the committee. The committee did no0t meet on Nov. 1 but will meet on the 15th and 29th – at 4:30PM in the Town Office. The meetings are open to the public.
5. I placed a help wanted ad in the Islander today for the Nov. 10 issue of the Islander for the Town Highway Department. Where else do you want one placed?
6. A Town ARPA website is under construction and not yet live. Please provide comment (copies provided).
The Planning Commission is now meeting in person but continues to provide a Zoom option for those who prefer.
1. The Planning Commission submitted the application for a 2022 Municipal Planning Grant for the 2023 Town Plan update. Deadline was October 31st. The Commission thanks Sandy Gregg for taking on this monumental task.
2. Additional discussion continues re ARPA fund allocation possibilities and a committee of community volunteers interested in making recommendations.
3. South Hero’s Village Center Designation is up for renewal in 2022. NRPC will be assisting the Planning Commission in preparing the renewal application for the Selectboard to approve.
Development Review Board:
– DRB meetings moved back to in-person meetings at the Town Office on June 23. The Zoom option will continue to be available. The Board agreed to make the meeting time of 7PM, moved in June from 6PM, a permanent change. The earlier time makes it difficult for some members to get there on time.
– No hearings are scheduled for the November 10 meeting, and the Nov. 22 meeting has been canceled due to the Thanksgiving holiday. 2 hearings are scheduled for the Dec. 8 meeting. There will be no second meeting in December due to the Christmas holiday.
– Recent DRB hearing decisions are posted on the Board outside the ZA’s office or can be emailed upon request.
Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA and Assistant to the Selectboard)