Town of South Hero
South Hero Meeting House – Renovate & Adaptive Reuse Project
Date: Tuesday, June 7,2022 – Steering Committee in person at the Town Office & via Zoom
Call to Order: 2:05 PM by David Carter, Chair
Attendees on ZOOM: Emily Klofft-NRPC, Sarah Kjelleran
Attendees in person at Town Office: David Carter-Chair, Pamela Surprenant, Mary Harwood – Town Consultant, Michael Carroll, Sandy Gregg- PC,
Absent: Carol Tremble, Beth Curtis-Granny’s Attic, Robin Way, Terry Robinson, Noni Stewart
2. Funds & Financial Reports
• South Hero Foundation (SHF) has raised to date: $27,793.30. This is from 97 Donors.
As of this date the SHF has a balance of $553.80 in their North Country Federal Credit Union account. The rest of the funds raised are in the South Hero Town account.
• There was no report from the Town.
3. Contract Renewals & NEPA:
• Emily K, reported that the VCDP Grant was extended until Dec 31,2022.
• A&S has until June 30th to get their part completed.
• NEPA Grant – work continues on this. Mary H., Sandy G, Lisa Ryan, Lyssa Papazian-Architectural Historian (working through A&S), and Rebecca Arnold-A&S. met via Zoom on May 20,2022. Priority *: Lyssa P. is responsible for the Section 106 form to Lisa Ryan.
• Lisa Ryan offered to do a draft of the NEPA form for our review. (Note: have not received this as of today 6/7/22)
• Sandy G. reported that rough costs estimates will be in-hand by our next meeting, June 14,2022.
She spoke with both Bob Neeld and Rebecca about our need for these rough estimates in order to go out to significant potential donors and talk with them about this project.
• Priority: Rough estimates of the project as a whole (including cost savings if this ends of being the approach to the build), and;
• Priority: Rough Estimate in Phases: Phase 2 being the original 1816 structure, and Phase 3 being the addition.
4. Old Business:
• Community Cheers & Cheese: Sandy G. reported the event is on track. PR is being designed by Sarah K. for a half-page color AD to appear in The Islander June 22nd; a banner to hang on site, a design for a letter-size flyer to be printed (10 copies) at the Town Office to post around Town.
• 10 x 10 ft tent is needed: Mary H. volunteered her ‘Bud Light tent’. Back-up plan is to use the Fire Auxiliary tent (Sandy G. can arrange).
• Linda S. is helping to organize the Meeting House table.
• Senator Mazza: Mary H. will do personal invite. Potential VTrans funding.
• Cheese: Cabot is providing 500 individually wrapped single-serving cheeses for the event.
5. Grants & Donors:
• Efficiency Vermont (EVT): David C., Mary H., and Sandy G. met with a representative from EVT this past Monday. She toured the building & will email info on potential funding options to Mary, she also stated that their process is reimbursement incentives, i.e. spend money and get reimbursed. She also mentioned using geo-thermal as part of environmentally concerned heating/cooling system. Also mentioned was that the Governor is ear-marking more funding for energy savings.
• Naming Opportunities List: a start of this already exists and Sandy will share with the group. A Donor Packet needs to be compiled that contains, Case Statement (Mary will compose), Legal paper sized copies of the conceptual plans & elevations (Sandy will make copies), rough cost estimates (coming in from Bob Neeld and/or A&S), naming opportunities list, rack card with logo & website (Sandy has these). One-on-one Donor meetings will be set-up through out the summer, fall and winter. Goal is to do the whole building at once and save costs!
• Everyone: make a list of Donors you would be willing to talk to one-on-one. Please bring your list to our next meeting.
6. Public Comment – none
7. Next Meeting: Tuesday June 14 at 2:00 PM via Zoom and in-person at Town Office
8. Adjourned: 2:58 PM
Respectfully submitted by,
Sandy Gregg, Scribe