SOUTH HERO DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD June 24, 2020
Members Present: Tim Maxham (Chair), Doug Patterson (Vice Chair), Jim Brightwell, Nate Hayward, Gareth Hunt, Liza Kilcoyne, Mike Welch, Sue Arguin (alternate), W. Rowe (alternate)
Others Present: Martha Taylor-Varney (Zoning Administrator
Members Absent: None
Public Present: Jim Hoag, Lee English
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by T. Maxham at 7:00 p.m. The meeting was conducted by Zoom web meeting software.
Changes to Agenda: None
Public Input: None
Hearing: (20-58-TL048) Request for Variance – Jim Hoag and Lee English
- Maxham opened the hearing at 7:03 p.m.
Notice & Oath
- Taylor-Varney read the hearing warning. T. Maxham administered the oath to the attending members of the public.
Appearing on behalf of the applicant:
Jim Hoag and Lee English
- Hoag said that he was applying for a variance to add a handicap bathroom to his downstairs. In order to do that, he needs to go beyond the existing footprint of the house into the 25’ setback for the Ministry Lane right-of-way by up to five feet. The existing overhang is four feet. There is nowhere else other than the proposed location to put the bathroom as the other locations are all slab or away from the septic system. J. Hoag reminded the Board that the house is nonconforming within the setback as it predates the Ministry Lane ROW.
- Maxham asked if the applicant was planning to build out from the foundation towards Town Line Road. J. Hoag said yes. T. Maxham said so you’re not building any closer to Ministry Lane, but rather you’re here because you’re within the setback. J. Hoag confirmed that he was not building any closer to Ministry Lane and was staying within the pre-existing house envelope.
- Patterson said if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that from the existing wall you’re going to go eight feet towards Ministry Lane? J. Hoag said that he was proposing to go eight feet towards Town Line road, not Ministry Lane. J. Hoag said that since the overhang was four feet, he would extend from two to five feet beyond the current footprint towards Town Line Road.
- Hayward suggested that the variance specify 9’ from the wall or 5’ from the overhang. D. Patterson asked if there would be an overhang on the bathroom extension. J. Hoag said that there would be a gable end on it so there would be maybe another foot beyond that. D. Patterson suggested that the variance specify 10 feet. J. Hoag agreed that would be more than sufficient. L. Kilcoyne said that the variance should be measured from the wall. L. Kilcoyne asked if there was anything in the space to be built in. J. Hoag said there was nothing in that space now.
Hearing no further questions from the Board, T. Maxham closed the hearing at 7:12 p.m.
Review of Minutes
- Hunt moved to accept the minutes of June 10th, 2020 as corrected. The motion was seconded by L. Kilcoyne and approved by acclamation.
The Administrator’s Report was delivered by Martha Taylor-Varney (Zoning Administrator).
- July 8 there will be two hearings: 1) a waiver request for setback for a parcel in the Shoreland district 2) a site plan revision for MKN Community Lane development to expand parking behind the health center.
- July 22 Wagner final plat review 2-lot subdivision on Westshore Road.
Motion to adjourn
- Patterson moved to adjourn the business meeting. The motion was seconded by W. Rowe and carried by acclamation. The meeting was adjourned at 7:21 p.m.
James G. Brightwell
Clerk for S. Hero Development Review Board
Signed: ____________________________________________ Date: __________________
For the Development Review Board
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly-scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.