Regular Meeting of Monday July 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM
At South Hero Town Hall and via Zoom
Board Members Present: David Carter/Chairman, Skip Brown/Board Secretary, Ross Brown/Vice Chairman,
Board Members Not Present: Anne Zolotas
Others Present: Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA and Kim Julow, Town Clerk/Treasurer. Also see sign in sheet of in person and Zoom active participants.
1. Called to Order:
-The meeting was called by Chairman Carter at 7:00 pm
2. Adjustment to Agenda:
-Add Errors and Omissions from the Listers to “Other Business”
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to acknowledge the minutes of meeting of July 12, 2021. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
4. Public input:
A. Michelle Gammal was present to discuss an initiative to publicize businesses in South Hero with a “Weekend in the Islands” promotion. This will occur on October 9 & 10, 2021. There will soon be a website and more information will be available as it develops.
5. New Business:
A. Peter Delaney of Run Vermont was present to discuss the Island Vines running event that will start at Snow Farm Winery on September 19, 2021. There will be a 5 mile and a 5K out and back route that will be on West Shore Rd. Ross Brown made a motion to accept the proposal of the Island Vines race on September 19, 2021. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Ken Little of Fire District 4 was present to discuss what is happening with the water system. Right now, the system averages about 104,900 gallons per day in the high summer season. Due to various limits and algorithms, this means that there may be between 10-24 additional water connections allowed on the system. The hope is to add another filter in the future so that the capacity of the system can be increased.
C. Kim Julow advised the Board that the tax rate has been computed. Ross Brown made a motion to set the residential/ homestead tax rate at $2.0483 and the non-residential/non-homestead tax rate of $2.0697 of $100.00 of assessed valuation. FY21-22 tax rate The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried. Note: This is less than last year’s tax rate.
D. Doug Nedde has offered to renovate the exterior of the current Town building that is rented to the Island Craft Shop by removing the overhead door and installing windows and painting the building. Ross Brown made a motion to accept the offer of Doug Nedde to update the building. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
6. Administrative Assistant Report:
A. See the written report filed with these minutes in Town Hall or www.southherovt.org.
B. The speed limits on various Town roads and an updated canine policy were discussed. Either update will need a new ordinance. More information will follow.
7. Old and Ongoing Business:
A. ARPA funds were discussed. Up to $40,000.00 of a total of about &173,000.00 have been allocated to update Town land records. The Board has several years to decide how to spend the rest of the funds.
8. Announcements and Communications:
A. See other business
9. Other Business:
A. Skip Brown made a motion to approve and sign orders 22-02 and to pay the bills associated with the orders. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
B. Town Clerk updates: Kim Julow has only been on the job for a few days. She thanks assistant clerks Sam Hilliker and Naomi King for all the help they have been. There are a few computer software or hardware problems that still need attention.
C. Recreation Commission (RC) update: none this week.
D. Road Department update: Martin Road is due to be upgraded. Ditching will begin soon. Martin Rd. resident Randy Delong has concerns of how it will impact his property. He has hired an attorney, but any improvements will be in the Town Right Of Way and will be done in accordance with best practices. Ross Brown has agreed to meet with him and the Town Road Dept. on site to discuss this.
E. Chuck Hulse made a motion to approve and sign the 3rd Class liquor license application for Snow Farm Winery. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
F. The Listers realize that a travel trailer at Apple Island Resort (AIR) that was removed yearly is now a semi-permanent “park model” that remains on the property. Chuck Hulse made a motion to approve the Errors and Omissions document as presented for property EM042. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
G. Ross Brown made a motion to approve and sign the ‘Grant Agreement Resolution-Single Grantee’ document as presented regarding the Arnold & Scangas Architects contract for the South Hero Old Meeting House project. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
-Chuck Hulse made a motion to adjourn 8:32 pm. The motion was seconded, all in attendance so voted and the motion carried.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by,
Graham Brown David Carter, Chairman
Administrative Officer’s Report to Selectboard July 26, 2021
- The Planning Commission will be meeting with Karen Bates, a watershed coordinator with the VT Agency of Natural Resources, to discuss grant funding available for village wastewater planning and assessment. The PC would like the Selectboard to take part in this discussion. Consensus is for this meeting to be on September 1, 2021. This will be a regular Planning Commission meeting and will be warned as a joint PC/SB meeting. The public will be encouraged to attend.
- New town zoning maps have been produced by Northwest Regional Planning Commission, including the two new zoning districts – South Hero Village and Keeler Bay Village districts. I have copies of all the maps for Selectboard members and will distribute them at tonight’s meeting.
- I’ve had a request to add Martin Rd. to the South Hero roads whose speed limits should be reduced. I spoke with Kristin Driscoll, Traffic Operations Manager for VTrans who explained that a traffic engineering study is advised but it is the Town that is responsible for setting and posting speed limits. She referred me to a VLCT document “Setting Speed Limits – A Guide for Vermont Towns.” I have made copies of the guide for any SB member who is interested in looking into this further.
- I have advertised for a Zoning Assistant (Islander 7/21/21). So far, no applicants.
- I will be out of the office on August 11 and 12.
The Planning Commission is now meeting in person but continues to provide a Zoom option for those who prefer.
- The Selectboard public hearing for the proposed amendments to the Development Regulations is scheduled for the Selectboard’s August 23rd regular meeting.
- The SB appointed George Harwood to fill the open space on the Planning Commission. George attended his first meeting on July 21st.
Development Review Board:
– DRB meetings moved back to in-person meetings at the Town Office on June 23. The Zoom option will continue to be available. Meeting starting times also moved from 6pm to 7pm for the summer months.
– The hearing schedule has slowed down a bit. I am scheduling DRB hearings into August 2021 but right now have only 1 for each of the 2 DRB meetings that month.
– –Upcoming hearings include a 3-lot minor subdivision, a 9-lot major subdivision, and 2 requests for setback waivers in the Shoreland District.
– Recent DRB hearing decisions are posted on the Board outside the ZA’s office or can be emailed upon request.
Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA and Assistant to the Selectboard)