SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES July 20, 2022
Members Present: Sand Gregg (Chair); Michele Gammal (Vice-Chair); David Roy
Members Absent: George Harwood; Fred Bartle
Others Present: Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
6:00 PM – S. Gregg called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
There was none.
Continue 2023 Town Plan preparation–
- The first Community Cheers and Cheese was held on Monday, June 27. There were 150+ attendees. The next will be held on August 22 from 6 to 6PM.
- Planning Commission reps have attended 2 Farmers Market dates so far. Some surveys have been returned from these outings. The next scheduled attendance at the Farmers Market will be August 17.
- Survey Results – over 155 surveys have been returned. Greta Brunswick of NRPC will report results at the August 3rd
ARPA Committee Update
There was no report. Survey results have been posted on the website.
Wastewater Planning and Assessment Committee Update
There was no report.
- The Commission needs to clarify the approval date for the 2023 Town Plan. Will there need to be a special vote? After Town meeting in March 2023, there will be no other scheduled elections by the end of the year.
- VOREC Report – Gregg attended a VOREC meeting earlier today. She reported that the scope of the grant includes both sidewalks and pedestrian uses. The proposals can include identifying where the Town would like to obtain easements to connect existing trails. These could be included in the 2023 Town Plan. VOREC will also update the 2012 Safe Routes to School Plan and incorporate a School Safety Zone. Also needed are estimated numbers of bikes and pedestrians crossing at the RT 2/South St. crosswalk.
- The Conservation Commission will have their first organizational meeting in September.
- Gammal reported that planning for 2022 ‘Weekend In The Islands’ is moving along well. The dates are October 8-9. Over 35 businesses in South Hero, Grand Isle, and North Hero have registered. She reported that the Town of South Hero has not registered. Registration allows participants to be identified on the WITI map.
- Gammal move to approve the minutes of June 15, 2022; D. Roy second. All in favor.
- The Commission clarified that a home cannot be expanded onto a pre-existing, non-conforming deck. This would increase the degree of non-conformity, per Figure 5.2 of the South Hero Development Regulations.
- Martha invited the Commission members to a reception for Tim Maxham on Friday, 7/22 from 6 to 8PM, to be held at the South Hero Congregational Church.
The next meeting will be August 3, 2022 at 6PM.
6:42 PM – D. Roy moved to adjourn; M. Gammal second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: _________________________________________ Date: _____________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicate.