TOWN OF SOUTH HERO
Recreation Committee Meeting
July 19, 2022 at 7 PM at the Town Hall
Present: David Lane, Jessica Jackson, Phil Scott, Dylan Degree, Chuck Hulse
Absent: Carol Tremble, Marion Palermo, Mandy Hotchkiss, David Hobbs, Rosemary Zamore
(My apologies. I was not able to set up a ZOOM link for the meeting. Several people tried to join the meeting by ZOOM, but no link was available)
1. Call to order – 706PM. Due to a lack of a quorum, no motions were taken or voted on. The following discussions took place.
2. Acknowledgment of minutes – The last recorded meeting (agenda) was March 10, 2020. The last recorded minutes were from the January 13, 2022 meeting. No action was taken on those meetings / minutes.
3. Introduction of new members – The Commission would like to welcome David Lane, Mandy Hotchkiss and Rosemary Zamore to the committee.
4. Election of officers – Carol Tremble volunteered to be the Chairperson of the Commission until her term expires in 11/2022. Phil Scott volunteered to be the Vice-Chairperson until 11/2022. Chuck Hulse will continue to serve as treasurer. The secretary position with be filled as needed. Phil Scott agreed to assist with setting up future ZOOM meeting.
5. Meeting time change – It was agreed that the Recreation Commission meetings would now occur on the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm at the Town Hall with ZOOM links as needed.
6. Treasurer’s Report – The final Treasurer’s Report for the 2021 – 2022 fiscal year was sent out prior to the meeting. There was a surplus of $7579.68 that will be returned to the General Fund. Chuck Hulse will send out a copy of the 2022 – 2023 budget. The possibility of a future Recreation Commission Coordinator, funded by monies from the Meals & Beverage Tax was discussed.
7. Community Park – Phil Scott gave a summary of progress on the Community Park. J. Buermann Engineering produced initial plans for layout of the park that will include tennis courts, bocci ball courts, pickle ball courts and a pavilion. There is also the possibility of walking trails, a space for a dog park and a children’s playground. The next steps include having an architect develop drawings of what the park would look like. Sources of funding for the project is still a matter of discussion.
8. Beach parking / coverage – Parking at the beach appears to be going well. GMCS has been doing a great job monitoring / promoting the parking situation. Possible alternatives to stickers (QR codes) were discuss. Recreation Commission coverage is needed for several weekends for the rest of the summer.
9. Other activities
Tryathlon – Jessica Jackson outlined the details for the upcoming Tryathlons that will take place at the beach on 7/30/2022 and 8/28/2022. Volunteers are needed to help with the activity. Other “Triathlons” were discussed.
Pump Track – Carol Tremble proposed moving forward on exploring the cost of a Pump Track at the South Hero Rec Park (behind Folsom).
Bike Racks at Folsom – Bike racks have been ordered.
Swings/Grills/Playground at the Beach – It has been suggested that we increase the number of swings, grills and a fire pit at the beach. There has been a long standing proposal to put a “playground” at the beach. Chuck Hulse and Dylan Degree will generate a map of existing features at the beach an propose possible siting of new amenities at the beach.
Volleyball Court – The volleyball court at the beach is in need of repair / maintenance. Dylan Degree will look into what needs to be done and possible costs.
Dog Park – With many people in the community showing interest in a dog park somewhere in South Hero, Chuck Hulse advertised for volunteers to form a committee to look into this. A dozen or so residents volunteered. A meeting of this group will be held sometime in the near future to discuss the creation / maintenance of a dog park.
10. Trails sub-committee – no report
11. Adjournment – 840PM