SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION January 6, 2021
Members Attended – Doug Patterson (Chair); Sandy Gregg (Vice-Chair); David Roy; Michele Gammal; Jonathan Shaw.
Public Attended – Terry Robinson (South Hero Museum); David Carter; Mary Harwood; Bridget Kerr; Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA)
6:00PM – D. Patterson called the meeting to order.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
There was none.
Discuss “Better Places” grant possibility
Old White Meeting House committee member David Carter spoke to the Board about applying for a “Better Places” grant to create a pocket park in the green space on the west side of the Old White Meeting House. The South Hero Museum has placed a ‘Honeymoon Cottage’ there that had been donated to the Town by Tim Maxham. The grant is for $5000 to $20,000, depending on the proposal. NRPC anticipates an award to be closer to $5000 for a pocket park. The Town would need to be the applicant. Upgrades could include landscaping and sidewalk, adding a bench, bike racks, and an informational sign about the history of the Cottage and the Old White Meeting House. Mary Harwood suggested a grant for the Library – perhaps combining the two locations to bookend the village? The deadline for application is Jan. 22nd and any awarded money must be spent by August 2021. The grant will need a letter of support from the Selectboard in addition to the Museum and perhaps Local Motion. If the Library Trustees approve, Mary Harwood will write the grant. Terry Robinson said the Museum Board supported the idea. D.Roy suggested an historical marker and a solar-powered lamppost. He will make up a sketch of proposed ideas to accompany the grant application.
- Gregg moved that the Planning Commission supports an application for a Better Places grant and recommends that the Selectboard do the same; D. Roy second. All in favor.
Discussion for Prep for 2023 Town Plan
Martha Taylor-Varney will send the members the most recent Fairfax Town Plan and S. Gregg will review and compile examples from other communities. The Plan is due August 2023.
Ideas for Small Business Saturday 2021
- Gammal asked if the Planning Commission can do something to promote South Hero and Grand Isle County for Small Business Saturday, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Would this be for a Chamber of Commerce to promote, or a Planning Commission/Town responsibility? S. Gregg felt it was something the PC should support. Michele will look into it further.
Jonathan Shaw moved to approve the minutes from Dec. 2, 2020; D. Roy second. All in favor.
There was discussion about some public pushback of the Mobile Vendors. However, no petition was presented before the Jan. 2nd deadline and the ordinance will become effective on Jan. 22, 2021. The ZA has already been contacted by potential applicants for further information about scheduling hearings before the DRB.
- The DRB will be advertising for a new Alternate member.
- Martha will be attending a virtual Stormwater Program lecture on Jan. 7th.
- There will be a 2-part virtual seminar on Jan 26 and 28 for Enabling Better Places. Martha will be attending. Roy and S. Gregg asked for further information and registration contact.
- The next meeting will be on Jan 20, 2021, via Zoom.
6:44PM – S. Gregg moved to adjourn; J. Shaw second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ___________________________________ Date: _______________________
For the Planning Commission
These minutes are unofficial until the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.