SOUTH HERO PLANNING COMMISSION MINUTES December 7, 2022
Planning commission in person: Sandy Gregg (Chair); Michele Gammal (Vice-Chair).
Planning Commission via Zoom: George Harwood; Fred Bartle.
Members Absent: David Roy
Others present: Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA); Joan Falcao; Bob Fireovid; Tim Maxham; Mike Gammal; Donna Boumil (via Zoom); Bridget Kerr (via Zoom); Donald Bedard (viz Zoom)
Call to order at 6:01 by S Gregg, Chair
1 – Changes to Agenda: Items 3 and 4 will be swapped.
2 – Public Comment: B Fireovid suggested we make changes to the zoning regulations rather than in the town plan. There was a discussion regarding the gathering and results of the survey performed by B Fireovid and J Falcao regarding disapproval of our current regulations in the zoning districts. G Harwood questioned the authority in which this survey was completed. G Harwood requested J Falcao provide the commission with the names and surveys of those that completed it. J Falcao agreed to provide this at the next PC meeting. Mike Gammal felt if a survey was going to be done, all people in the town needed to be asked, not just some people.
S Gregg pointed out our focus is to develop a good town plan. We can reevaluate land use/village zoning as a goal in the Town Plan.
3 – Old Business:
- SH & KB Village Bike Pedestrian Scoping Study grant agreement needs to be resigned and dated by the SB for matching funds. 40K + 10K match. This will be presented to the select board on Monday, 12/12/2022. S Gregg will contact Ashley Andres about our next step in the process. Award start date is 10/30/22 and end date is 10/30/24
- No ARPA update.
- Waste water Planning & Assessment Committee: G. Harwood reported the committee has identified 10 properties and letters went out to the property owners. 3 property owners are interested in digging test pits.
- SH Meeting House Update: Gregg reported there was an informal meeting with a volunteer expert on the project. The estimate they currently have on the project is very low, so they are reevaluating.
4 – New Business:
- No updates from NRPC on the Town Plan.
- S Gregg attended a Community Conversation Workshop via Zoom on housing 11/17/22. Statewide internet communication impacts housing. Having strong internet access is very valuable. ADU’s (Accessory Dwelling Units) were a hot topic. Workshop PowerPoint is on our town web site.
- Discussion of the use of RVs as temporary housing is being discussed state wide. The PC has agreed to continue to talk about this topic.
5 – Meeting Minutes from 11/16/2022 – J Falcao asked to revisit the meeting minutes from 11/16/2022 because she had edits for them. She made her suggestions to the board and it was decided to remove a statement she said she did not say. Also, a statement that B Kerr wanted changed was reworded. It was discussed that minutes are not required to be transcripts of the entire meeting. Motion by G Harwood to approve the minutes as amended. Seconded by F Bartle, the vote was unanimous.
6 – Administrator’s Report:
- GI County is not eligible for the $40 million Community Recovery and Revitalization Program.
- Bartle will be absent for 1 year starting February 1, 2023. He will let us know how he wishes to handle his absence. PC cannot have alternates according to State statute. If he resigns, the PC will make a recommendation to the Selectboard to appoint one new member.
7 – Next meeting: December 21, 2022 at 6PM. Greta Brunswick – NRPC will be present via Zoom with Town Plan update information.
8 – Adjournment: 7:31PM S Gregg moved to adjourn; M Gammal seconded. All in favor.
Michele Gammal – Vice Chair
Signed: Date: .
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.