December 6, 2022 OSHMH Minutes

Town of South Hero
Meeting House – Preserve & Revitalize Project

Date: TUESDAY, Dec 6, 2022
Time: 3:30 PM In person at Town Office or via ZOOM –

Attendees:David Carter-Chair, Michael Carroll, Robin Way, Pamela Surprenant, Mary Harwood, Sandy Gregg. Via ZOOM: Linda Seavey, Emily Klofft- Northwest Regional Planning Commission
Absent: Sarah Kjelleren, Carol Tremble, Beth Curtis, Terry Robinson,
Public: none

1. Called to order at 3:34 by David C.

2. Funds & Financial Reports
• P. Surprenant, South Hero Foundation (SHF) Treasurer, reported a balance of $51,509.63 in the Foundation’s North Country Federal Credit Union account.
• There was no report from the Town.
• South Hero Foundation has set up a Stock Account with Wells Fargo to receive appreciated stock donations. The SHF is finalizing a stock donation protocol.

3. Grant(s) Updates –
• Mary H. reported she continues to research grants and is communication with Andy Julow – Lake Champlain Islands Economic Development Commission (LCIEDC). Many of the grants will come into play only when our project is “shovel ready”. For example, ADA accessibility grants for outside ramp and the elevator.
• REDI grant program is a possibility.
• Bruhn Grant requires an end of year progress report (due by Dec 30). Mary H. will draft it and send it around for comments.
• Congressional delegation will tour the building in January. More on this as the date gets closer. Andy Julow is setting this up, thanks, Andy!

4. Old Business
• Friday, Nov 18 Walk-through at 9:30 AM with A. Julow included: Caitlin Corking-Division of Historic Preservation, Ben Doyle-Pres. Preservation Trust of Vermont, Natalie Elvidge-Northern Borders Regional Commission. All the Grannies were invited. Emily K. was in attendance also. Anyone interested in the notes from this walkthrough can view the report on the project website or email Sandy Gregg and request a copy ([email protected]).

• Bond update: The Selectboard voted to engage a Bond Attorney who will write the Bond Article.
• Poster drafted to encourage support of the Meeting House Project.
• Whole project estimate needed by Jan 19th in order to write the Bond Article. Doing the whole project at once rather than in phases will save taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. David C. spoke with Rebecca at Arnold & Scangas (A&S) and she understands the need to get the whole project build docs by end of January. She said they are ramping up to get it done.

5. New Business:
• The Town Report needs to contain a report from this group. Mary H. will draft it and circulate for comments etc. Deadline for draft is Dec 13th.
• PR campaign is needed to inform voters with the facts about the Bond vote. The poster mentioned above is a start but we need Islander articles, an ad, FPF posts etc. PRIORITY for next meeting.
• Reminder: If interested parties desire information about the project direct them to the website: this site has the design plans, notes from the walk-through with Alex Tolstoi etc.

6. Public Comment – none

7. Next Meeting – Tuesday, Jan 10,2023 at 3:30 PM at the Town Office & by Zoom.

8 Adjourned at 4:05 PM

Respectfully submitted by,
Sandy Gregg, Scribe