Town of South Hero
Meeting House – Preserve & Revitalize Project
Date: TUESDAY, SEPT 13, 2022
Time: 3:30 PM In person at Town Office or via ZOOM – Join Zoom Meeting
Attendees:David Carter-Chair, Michael Carroll, Pamela Surprenant, Beth Curtis, Mary Harwood, Robin Way, Emily Kloft-NRPC, Sandy Gregg
Absent: Sarah Kjelleren, Linda Seavey
Note: Town computer could not connect to Zoom link. Apologies to anyone trying to Zoom in.
- Called to order at 3:35 by David C.
- Funds & Financials Reports:
- Town Funds = $155,801.58
- South Hero Foundation = $4,881
- Bruhn Grant to come $100,000
Grant(s) Updates –
- Emily K.-NRPC reported: she communicated with Rebecca at A&S and A&S can have construction docs by Jan 1,2023.
- In the meantime Emily got requisition information from Kim Julow to submit for the first round of VCDP grant funds.
- Reminder: Bruhn Grant requires that before going out to bid for construction the construction docs need to go to Lisa Ryan for NPS approval. How long will NPS approval take? Lisa Ryan may be able to suggest a wait time.
- Bruhn Grant Progress Report due by end of this week. Mary H. reported she communicated with Lisa Ryan and this report is due by Friday Sept 16. Mary H. expressed frustration trying to complete a time-line question. Mary H. will submit what she has by Friday Sept 16.
- Emily K. stated a bid process can be done in as little as 6 weeks.
- With so many variables and Bruhn grant construction docs approval timeframe up in the air is a 2023 construction season even reasonable?
- Emily K. will communicate with A&S to proceed with creating construction docs. The cost of ~$33,000 will be covered by either an amendment to the VCDP grant (Emily K to apply on behalf of South Hero) or by Meeting House funds from the Town.
- Beth C. requested that if construction is to start in 2023 it is best for the Granny’s Attic operation that it not start until Early Oct 2023. All depends on grant approvals and contractors falling into place. The project could be delayed until build season 2024.
- Mary H. reported she has identified a Northern Borders grant round (they funded water expansion at BayView Crossing) and a VHCB grant opportunity as well. She will stay on top of these and report back at the next meeting.
- To summarize Emily K tasks: 1. She will work with Martha Taylor-Varney, Kim Julow and Ross Brown to submit paid invoice information to the VCDP grant for 1st round requisition of funds; 2. She will finalize the grant amendment application with VCDP; 3. She will communicate with A&S to start work on the construction docs; 4. She will begin an update to the A&S contract with the Town of South Hero to include the construction docs.
- Old Business
- David C. announced the meetings with individual potential donors are being scheduled with the first one to be held this Thursday 9/15.
- Sandy G. will get Donor Packets distributed
- Fall Donor mailing through the South Hero Foundation is due to hit the mail by the end of Sept.
- The “FPF Rumor” issue: after brief discussion the piece composed and presented by Michael C. will be posted in FPF in response. Thank you, Michael, nicely done.
- MOU Update: David C. reported that the document is being worked on and the language is very important. The language needs to be respectful of the Grannies operation while at the same time allowing for flexibility due to contingencies that the construction phase will present. The Grannies need to be thinking about alternate location(s) during the construction phase. It was suggested that the Grannies post on FPF requesting suggestions from the community for interim places that they could use for storage and/or retail operation.
- New Business:
- Invoice from Harwood Consulting was presented and gone through. Total due is $1,192.50 and covers work done on: review of construction docs, update email, meeting prep, meetings and meeting follow-up, email to donors, LGL work and Donor Packet Update piece, Fall mailing prep, and time spent setting up Tech Soup (QuickBooks purchase). Motion by Michael C. to approve the invoice and seconded by Pamela S. The vote was unanimous. David C. will give the approved invoice to Kim J. Treasurer.
- Sat Sept 17, 11 AM-1 PM there is an Anniversary Celebration at Keeler Bay Variety and they have selected the Meeting House Project as their fund-raiser for this year! David C. Sandy G., Mary H. and possibly Pamela S. and Linda S. will be on hand to chat with folks about the project.
- Public Comment – none
- Next Meeting – Tuesday, Sept 27 at 3:30 PM at the Town Office.
- Adjourned at 4:25
Respectfully submitted by,
Sandy Gregg, Scribe