DEVELOPMENT REVIEW BOARD MINUTES April 12, 2023
Members Present: Tim Maxham (Chair); Doug Patterson (Vice-Chair); Gareth Hunt; Jim Brightwell; Mike Welch; Liza Kilcoyne
Others Present: Justine Zolotas; Sani Pasagic (via Zoom); Gunner McCain (via Zoom); Tim McCanna (via Zoom); Martha Taylor-Varney (ZA)
6:30PM – Site Visit at Pan’s Pizza, 326 US RT 2.
7:00PM – Regular Meeting at the Town Office. T. Maxham opened the meeting and introduced the Board.
Changes to the Agenda
There were none.
There was none.
7:04 PM — Site Plan Review for Restaurant Expansion, Pan’s Pizza, at 326 US RT 2 – SP Properties/Sani Pasagic (23-48-RT26)
The warning was read and interested persons sworn in. Justine Zolotas presented the site plan to the Board. They are proposing to expand the restaurant into the recently vacated space next door. The area will accommodate an expanded kitchen and prep area, and an additional 15 indoor seats, to be used seasonally when the proposed outdoor seating cannot be used. Outdoor seating will be in front of the restaurant, separated from parking by a barrier (bollards or metal troughs filled with dirt). The restaurant’s wastewater permit allows for 15 seats. Outdoor seating will be small (typically 4-person) picnic tables with umbrellas. Indoor seating will be separated from the prep and kitchen area by a tall counter, and will include seats at a window counter and high-tops, to add up to 15 seats. There will be one indoor restroom.
Six parking spaces will be in front of the restaurant. An HC perking space will be by the foot of the ramp onto the porch. Seven additional shared customer parking spaces are at Arbor Farm Market (next door), with more parking for employees and customers located in the back. A walk-through between Arbor Farm Market and the new restaurant extension will allow for safe access to the restaurant entrance in front. Clear signage for the additional parking and the walk-through will be posted. The restaurant’s busiest hours of operation do not coincide with 2 of the other businesses in the same building – Cedar Ledge Builders and Matthew Little Law Office. Hours with Arbor Farm Market overlap for a short time (Arbor Farm Market closes at 6PM). Pan’s Pizza closes at 8PM.
Lighting for the back parking area will be building-mounted. It was suggested that a bike rack be added in an area away from the parking spaces.
- Kilcoyne moved to waive the requirement to show 2-ft. contours on the site plan; J. Brightwell second. All in favor.
The Board asked that the site plan be updated to include:
- The designated ADA parking space
- A bike rack
- Parking signage
- Adjoining property owners
- The walkway from back parking between the restaurant and Arbor Farm Market
- Brightwell oved to recess the hearing to April 26, 2023 at 7PM; G. Hunt second. All in favor.
- Maxham recessed the hearing at 7:47PM.
Continue Administrative Review for a 3-lot Subdivision at 634 US RT 2 – Timothy and Deborah McCanna (23-46-RT634)
- Maxham recused himself. Vice-Chair D. Patterson opened the hearing at 7:50PM.
The subdivision administrative review began on March 22, 2023. The Board had asked for the changes discussed at that hearing to be included on the final plat for the Board to review before closing the hearing. ZA Martha Taylor-Varney presented the updated subdivision plat. The new location of the 50-ft. right-of-way is now straddling the boundary between Lots 1 and 2, but the shared driveway for Lots 2 and 3, within the ROW, remains on Lot 2. Natural screening on Lot 1, along the new ROW, will remain. Due to ledge, an overhead power line from the pole on RT 2 to a new pole on lot 2 continues to the proposed homes on Lots 2 and 3. A detached garage has been added to Lot 3. The easement for the force main to the shared septic mound on Lot 3 has been re-routed slightly from the previous plat to go around the new garage.
The Board asked that the abutting landowner to the north of Lot 1 be added to the Mylar. The hearing closed at 7:56.
There was none.
Review of Minutes
- Kilcoyne moved to accept the minutes of March 22, 2023; G. Hunt second. All in favor.
- The meeting on April 26th will be a continuation of the Pan’s Pizza site plan review and also the continuation of the Island Time Miniature Golf Course final site plan review.
- Zoning 101, presented by ZA Martha Taylor-Varney will start on Thursday, April 26 at 6PM. Classes will continue on the last Thursday of each month as we work our way through the Development Regulations.
- The Planning Commission will have a special meeting on Thursday, April 13 at 6PM to review the final draft of the 2023 Town Plan. The PC’s public hearing for the Town Plan will be May 17.
8:02PM – D. Patterson moved to adjourn and move to deliberative; M. Welch second. All in favor.
Martha Taylor-Varney, ZA
Signed: ______________________________________ Date: ______________________
For the DRB
These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next regularly scheduled meeting. All motions were unanimous unless otherwise indicated.